Q: Do I need to book an appointment to try on gowns?
A: Yes, we ask that you do book an appointment if you wish to try on gowns. This enables us to give you the best service possible and makes the experience much more enjoyable and productive. We believe when buying one of the most important outfits you will ever wear, you deserve our full attention! We ask that you do your best to arrive on time. If you arrive early you may kindly be asked to come back at your appointment time. If you arrive late you may not be able to receive the amount of time…and we know you want all that trying on time!
Q: How long will my appointment last?
A: Appointments are usually one hour and 15 minutes long. This allows enough time to discuss your ideas, browse our collection and try on your favourites. If you require a longer appointment please arrange this in advance with us and it may have to be on a weekday. We will always do what we can to work with the bride.
Q: Can I come to browse without an appointment?
A: An appointment is also required to browse our collections. If you wish to book an appointment please contact us via the contact page.
Q: When should I start shopping for my gown?
A: We would advise that you start your search around 18 – 12 months before your wedding date. You will find that the vast majority of gowns are made to order and due to the intricate designs and because we stock global labels, it can take a number of months to create and ship your gown. Our average lead times are 12-16 weeks with some gowns taking 6 months to create. Some of the designers do offer a quicker production time for a fee. If you need your gown more quickly please contact us for more information. It is helpful to have booked your wedding venue as this can influence the style of gown you choose. It would be a shame to purchase a long sleeved gown in a heavy fabric only to decide you want to have a summer beach wedding!
Q: Who should I bring?
A: We know how exciting it is to finally start shopping for your wedding gown and pretty much everyone wants to share this experience with you! However, we ask that you bring no more than three guests with you to your appointment. Due to Covid – 19 we now only allow two guests to come with you to your appointment. It is important to carefully choose only a few close friends and family whose opinions you value and who will support you to make the best choice for YOU. Too many opinions can sometimes cloud your own judgement. This again is to make the experience more enjoyable and productive. Some brides avoid bringing small children to their appointment so as to ensure the experience is as stress free and fun as possible. However, we understand that sometimes you may want to share this special day with all of your loved ones…even little ones…so just ring ahead to let us know.
Q: What should I/shouldn’t I bring to my appointment?
A: You may find it useful to bring with you underwear similar to that which you are likely to wear on your wedding day, wether this be a good supportive bra, stick on cups or any other support underwear. Underwear in nude and without seams will work the best. If you have a pair of heels you would like to try on with the dresses then feel free to bring them but we do have shoes you can wear. If you can avoid fake tan and heavy make-up that can come off on the gowns that would also be really great.
Q: How do I pay for my gown?
A: We require a 50% deposit to order your gown and the final 50% is to have been paid by the first fitting or within one month of the gown arriving. We offer a 0% interests payment plan on gowns over £2500 if purchased at least one year in advance of the wedding. We accept cash, debit/credit card and bank transfer. We do not accept American Express.
Q: Do you accept refunds and exchanges?
A: We would like to think that you have taken the time to consider your gown choice carefully and due to the nature of how the gowns are made to order, all sales are final and we do not offer exchanges or refunds nor can we refund the deposit paid. A credit note or exchange may be given at the discretion of Ghost Orchid management for accessories, bridemaids dresses and sample sale gowns, providing the item has not yet left the store. This does not effect your statutory rights
Q: What is a fitting and do you offer in house alterations?
A: When ordering your gown we will take your measurements so that we can order the correct sized gown. If you are in between sizes we will always advise ordering in the size up. If your measurements fall into different sizes, we will always advise ordering to fit the biggest measurements. We may be able to order you a split size gown in some circumstances.
Some of our designers will accept custom orders and certain modifications to meet the individuals need but this may incur and extra fee. Because most of our gowns are free from the restraints of uncomfortable boning and cupping, alterations are likely to be minimal, however we realise this isn’t just your average party dress here and it needs to be a perfect fit for your big day and some slight alterations may be required.
We do have an independent, experienced dress maker who can accommodate alteration fittings in our showroom on weekdays only. Fittings are charged at £20 per appointment plus the costs of alterations. You are likley to need between 3 and 5 fittings with most people only needing 3.
There are no set fees, meaning alteration costs are simply based on the time taken to complete. This is a much fairer way of working. You can expect your alterations to cost between £150 – £450. Given the intricate nature of the alterations, in addition to the responsibility of the job, we only use an experienced and trusted seamstress, therefore you can expect the cost to be more than your average everyday tailors. However, we do pride ourselves on offering a fair service, meaning our prices are comparably reasonable for bridal alterations.
There is so no obligation to use our dressmaker and you may source your own alterations service.
Q: Can I take photographs?
A: We understand that you will forever want to be reminded of the special moment when you choose your gown but we advise that you do not take photos of the dresses. It is very often the case that phone photo’s do not do justice to how amazing brides look in the dresses and can often cause unnecessary worry. You have to remember that the sample gown is not your size yet and will never look the same on a photo as your actual dress once fitted perfectly to you.
What is a Trunk Show?
A trunk show is a special event that we will hold at our boutique in collaboration with a designer. At one of these events we will usually have the designers full collection of bridal of gowns to try and to order with us for a limited period of time. These events are by private appointment only and you can expect all of the special treatment you would normally get from an appointment at Ghost Orchid, except they are a rare opportunity to try on so many gowns from one designer in one place and there is often a discount, gifts or something special going on for them!
Is there a charge for appointments?
First gown consultation: Are charged at £15 for weekend appointments and during trunk shows. This will not be refunded if you fail to make your appointment without giving 72 hours notice. (One hour 15 minutes long)
Second gown consultation: Are charged at £10 for weekend appointments and during trunk shows. You will not be refunded if you fail to make your appointment without giving 72 hours notice. (One hour long)
Accessories consultation: Are charged at £10 for weekend appointments and during trunk shows. You will not be refunded if you fail to make your appointment without giving 72 hours notice. (40 minutes long)
Out of hours consultation: Appointments are charged at £25 for any appointments booked out of our Wednesday – Saturday opening hours. This does not apply to trunk shows when we are likely to extend our opening hours. You will not be refunded if you fail to make your appointment without giving 72 hours notice. (One hour 15 minutes long)
Alterations fittings: £20 per fitting plus alterations cost. You are likely to need between 3 and 5 fittings with 3 being more likely.
*Weekday consultations are all free, with the exception of trunk show’s and alterations fittings.
COVID 19 UPDATES
COVID 19 Safety Guidance
- We are lucky enough to have a large showroom yet we aim to have no more than four people in store at any one time. In order to achieve this our brides can bring two guests with them for regular appointments and one guest to alteration fittings.
- Everyone in store must follow the current social distancing guidance unless from the same household or when dresses are being fitted. When dresses are being fitted the stylist / seamsttress / bride will wear a protective face mask.
- If you or a member of your party are displaying symptoms of Covid 19 or have knowingly been in contact with someone who has been displaying symptoms, that person must not attend the appointment. If you need to rearrange your appointment please get in touch at the soonest possible time.
- No one from the “At Risk” group should attend your appointment.
- Hand sanitizer will be made available and is to be used at least upon entry and exit of the store. There will be hand santizer placed around the store and you are encouraged to use this frequently throughout your appointment.
- It would be appreciated if you could bring your own protective face mask. We have found cloth face coverings to be the most comfortable to wear. However, disposable masks can be provided by Ghost Orchid should you forget yours. Masks only need to be worn by people who are not from the same household and only when it is necessary to be closer to each other than the social distancing requirements. For example, when the stylist helps a bride into a dress or when the seamstress is fitting a dress. However, if you or anyone from your party would prefer for masks to be worn at all times then please do discuss this with your stylist.
- We have reduced the amount of appointments we take in a day to allow enough time in between each appointment so the store can be thoroughly cleaned and disinfected. Any dresses that have been tried on will be steam cleaned in between customers. We will aim to ventilate the store in between appointments.
- Our toilets will be available for customers to use and will be cleaned in between appointments.
- We will be opening Wednesday through to Saturday.
- We will be offering our usual refreshments (Prosecco, tea, coffee, mineral water). However, if you are more comfortable bringing your own refreshments you are welcome to.
- If during your appointment there is anything that can be done to make you feel more safe and comfortable then please do talk to your stylist and we will work together to ensure you feel at ease.
It’s a strange old time for us all and despite the unusual circumstances, we are going to do everything we can to ensure you still have a fun and special experience at Ghost Orchid. We are all muddling through this “new normal” together so if there is anything at all we can do to make you feel more at ease, that we havn’t already thought of then please do chat this over wigth us. Your feedback is so valuable to us.
Thank you for bearing with us and we really appreciate your support with these new guidelines.
Is there customer parking available?
There are a limited amount of on-street free parking spaces on Wellington Street, as well as a small pay and display car park on Humber Place (opposite Thieving Harry’s pub). On weekends only you may use The High Street pay and display car park. All options are just a two minute walk to showroom.
In the very unlikley event you are unable to find a space, Princes Quay shopping centre is just a five to ten minute walk to our showroom and offers pay and display parking. Exit by foot on the ground floor near the dock side and head towards the Marina.
*Ghost Orchid values all of our customers and if you have any special requirements please call ahead of the appointment to let us know and we will always do our best to accommodate them for you.